Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Driftwood Wreath Tutorial


Hello!  It's been a while since I have posted!  I have been so busy with my son graduating, along with just taking some time to breathe and spend some quality time with him before he heads out to college!  He will be attending ODU so I am so glad he will be close to the beach!

Speaking of beach,,,,,I love collecting driftwood!

I thought it would be fun to share a quick and easy tutorial on how to make a Driftwood Wreath!

I love to collect & gather driftwood!

You don't have to go to the ocean to collect driftwood.  You can gather driftwood, along most shore lines, creek or river beds, like I do below.


To start you wreath you need to collect 4"-7" pieces of Driftwood.  Go ahead and grab a bucket because you will need at least 40 to have a nice size 24" wreath.



Supplies Needed!

Driftwood Pieces 4" - 7" In Length - about 40 pieces
Wire Wreath Frame
Beach Netting
Shells
Glue Gun & Glue Sticks




 When I make my wreaths, I only use the wire frame as a guide.  I don't glue the driftwood to the frame.  I start off my wreath by placing paper underneath the wire frame to avoid getting any hot glue drips on my table.  I place pieces of driftwood along the center edge of the wire frame in a circle, overlapping the driftwood on to each other to form the middle of the wreath.  I pick up each piece and add some hot glue underneath where it rests onto another piece and hot glue those two pieces together.  Allow to dry.  Continue around until the middle is done.  I then start hot gluing pieces of driftwood going outwards from the middle to the outer edge of the wreath, continuing to overlap pieces, still using you wire frame a s a guide to keep a nice circle, and continuing to go around until you get the desire look you want. I added layers on top of my original layer so my wreath is thicker.  Once totally dry, I turned the wreath over, and added hot glue to areas I felt needed it for durability.

Tie off the a piece of burlap or in my case a piece of beach netting.  Then add some shells into the netting and you have a great wreath, that about $5.00 in cost!


1 comment:

  1. Love this tutorial! Reading about your son heading off to college brought back so many pleasant memories! My oldest son went off to college in 1993 and I can't believe it has been 20 years!

    ReplyDelete